An additional browser for your mobile device
Opera Mini is Opera’s mobile web browser for Android devices designed from the ground up to be block ads, browse faster, and best of all, saves mobile data.
Multiple features like privacy, customization, ad blocking and downloads can all be managed with a single tap. Opera Mini’s not just easy to use, but it also offers advanced compression technology that lets you browse faster, saving both time and data.
While the browser does have some great points, there are also some issues users should be aware of before installing. Facebook and YouTube can break while browsing (or not load at all), and some users have reported that animated gif and thumbnails appear to be broken or load automatically in a new window when tapped.
Overall Mini is a great option for browsing on the go, and features enough privacy and customization options for casual and advanced users.
- Built-In Ad Blocker. Ads aren’t just annoying, they waste your time and your data! Opera Mini leads the pack by letting you block ads with a single tap.
- Easy to Use Privacy Settings. Easily switch back and forth between regular and private browsing tabs, erase history with a single click and more.
- Track Data Usage. Say goodbye to digging through pageOpera Mini has a handy-dandy tool that lets you track and limit your data usage.
- Minor Graphics Issues Animated GIFs don’t always load in the same window; many users have reported having to open animated GIFs in a new tab to view.
- Known Facebook Issues Many users have reported issues with either loading or page-breaking errors for both Facebook and YouTube.
New this version
- Simplified start page layout
- Updated main menu items
- Reload button in the bottom navigation bar to refresh the start page news
- Performance improvement
- New start page news design
- New download manager and background downloading
- Extended address bar suggestions
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.